Font Size
Share this article


Print Friendly Version
20 October 2019
BUSINESS

EWEC, ACWA secures AED 3.19 billion for Abu Dhabi desalination plant

The plant is due to start full commercial operations in the fourth quarter of 2022 and Emirates Water Electricity Company (EWEC) will be the buyer of the water produced for a 30-year period.


Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EWEC) and Saudi Arabia's ACWA Power have secured AED 3.19 billion ($869 million) financing facility for Abu Dhabi's Taweelah water desalination plant from a syndicate of banks, according to WAM.

In a statement, EWEC and ACWA said that the Taweelah plant’s loan structure is a ‘Soft Mini Perm’, with an expected refinancing period of a maximum three years starting after the commencement of the Taweelah project’s commercial operations.

Mohammad Abunayyan, the Chairman of ACWA Power, said, “The financial closing of the Al Taweelah plant with renowned institutions was made possible by our cooperation, the scale and impact of this project as well as the future growth and development we anticipate in the UAE.”

The loans both conventional and Islamic tranches have been arranged by Emirates NBD, Natixis, Mizuho Bank as well as Siemens Bank, Bank Boubyan and The Norinchukin Bank.

ADPower and Abu Dhabi’s Mubadala Investment Company holds a 60 per cent equity interest in the Taweelah project while ACWA Power holds the remaining 40 per cent.

The plant will supply 909,200 cubic metres per day (m3/day) of water, 44 per cent more than the world’s current largest reverse osmosis plant of 624,000 (m3/day), meeting the water demand of 350,000 households.


RELATED STORIES: BANK BOUBYAN MIZUHO FINANCIAL GROUP SIEMENS BANK NATIXIS EMIRATES NBD EMIRATES WATER AND ELECTRICITY COMPANY MUBADALA INVESTMENT COMPANY THE NORINCHUKIN BANK TAWEELAH PROJECT ACWA POWER


RECOMMENDED NEWS



BRANDS MAGAZINES LATEST EDITION

OUR BRANDS



CPI Financial was established in Dubai in 1999 to meet the needs of an ever-expanding financial community, offering a comprehensive portfolio of market-leading products and services tailor-made for the banking and financial services sectors.


Subscribe to our News Letter

Subscribe

© 2019 CPI Financial. All rights reserved.

No part of this website may be reproduced or used in any form of advertising without prior permission in writing from the editor.